Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Working with Families

I can work with almost any infant, toddler, or preschooler. I very readily admit that I find the school-age set to be a bit more of a challenge than I am willing to take on. I know my limits, and am very willing to admit to them. Doesn't work for someone? That's ok, I'm not the only game in town. I'm also secure enough to not get offended if someone doesn't feel my program works for them. I've outgrown being a people-pleaser, thank God! I used to think I had to bend over backwards to make my program work for everyone who called my number. Not anymore! I no longer feel guilty if I can't make it work.

Parents, however, are an entirely different story. I know that there are certain families that I will definitely not be able to work with or reasonably be able to get along with. I'm ok with that now, too, and have gotten pretty good at being able to weed them out. I have learned what warning signs and behaviors to watch for during the interview process. I have even learned how to tell a potential client that they won't become an enrolled client. Not easy, rather stressful, but better than a long-term relationship of not easy and rather stressful!

That doesn't mean there are never issues. Most of the time, because of my selectiveness, we are able to work through any issues that arise. With that said, there are things that pop up that aren't exactly issues that really, truly involve the daycare, but drive you crazy anyways. You just can't imagine why they do the things you do. So...you let it go and find a place to bitch about it. Because it really doesn't affect you anyway.

Sophie

No comments:

Post a Comment